When it comes to moving and working abroad, every country has its own immigration rules and regulations. If you’re planning to work in the UK, it’s important to understand the different types of visas and when you could be eligible for a domestic worker visa. This UK domestic worker visa guide for global mobility managers will provide an overview of the types of visas as well as the eligibility criteria, requirements, and application process associated with them.
What is a UK Domestic Worker Visa?
The UK Domestic Worker visa is a type of UK employment visa that enables non-EEA (European Economic Area) citizens to take up domestic-worker positions in the UK. To be eligible for this visa, you must already have been employed in a household overseas for at least one year prior to your application. This visa is valid for a period of up to six years and enables you to work in the UK as a domestic worker, self-employed, or au pair.
Eligibility for a UK Domestic Worker Visa
Each UK visa type comes with different eligibility criteria, and the same is true for the domestic worker visa. The following requirements must be met to be eligible for this visa:
* You must be employed as a domestic worker in a private household outside the UK.
* You must have held this employment for at least one year prior to making the visa application.
* You must have an employer who is a foreign national and resident in the UK.
* You must have held the position of a domestic worker for your employer for at least one year prior to the visa application.
* You must have a valid passport and travel document.
* You must have enough money to cover the cost of your travel, accommodation and general subsistence during your stay in the UK.
* You must not plan to work in any other capacity than a domestic worker.
* You must be willing to leave the UK once your visa expires.
UK Domestic Worker Visa Requirements
In addition to meeting the above-mentioned eligibility criteria, you must also meet the UK House of Commons’ requirements in order to apply for a domestic worker visa. These requirements include:
* You must provide a detailed letter from your employer confirming your employment.
* Your passport should have at least six months of validity remaining.
* You must demonstrate that you’re able to support yourself financially during your stay in the UK.
* You must provide evidence that your employer is a foreign national and has been resident in the UK for at least twelve months prior to the visa application.
* You must not be convicted of any criminal offences in the UK or overseas.
How to Apply for a UK Domestic Worker Visa
Once you have met all the eligibility criteria, the application process is relatively straightforward. You will need to complete an online application form and submit the following documents:
* Your completed visa application form.
* Two recent passport-sized photographs.
* Your valid passport and photocopy of its information pages.
* Your employer’s letter confirming your employment.
* Evidence of your financial capability, including bank statements and pay stubs.
* Proof of your nationality and residence.
* Evidence that your employer is a British national.
Following the initial application, you’ll then be required to attend an appointment with the UK visa officials in order to submit your biometric details and be interviewed. Once this has been completed, you’ll receive a decision on your application within a few weeks.
**Q. How long is a UK Domestic Worker Visa valid for?**
A. A UK Domestic Worker Visa is valid for a period of up to six years.
**Q. What type of work can I do on a UK Domestic Worker Visa?**
A. You are only permitted to work as a domestic worker on a UK Domestic Worker Visa.
**Q. What documents are required to apply for a UK Domestic Worker Visa?**
A. To apply for a UK Domestic Worker Visa, you’ll need to provide a completed visa application form, two recent passport-sized photographs, your valid passport, your employer’s letter of employment, evidence of your financial capability, proof of your nationality and residence, and evidence that your employer is a British national.
**Q. Is it possible to extend a UK Domestic Worker Visa?**
A. It is possible to extend a UK Domestic Worker Visa after it expires. You will need to make a new application and provide the necessary documentation.
Overall, a UK Domestic Worker Visa is an excellent option for those who are looking to work as a domestic worker in the UK. But before you can apply for one, it’s important to understand the eligibility criteria and requirements associated with it. By understanding these requirements and following the visa application process, you’ll have the best chance of obtaining a UK Domestic Worker Visa.