Are you a business in the postal or telecom service sector looking to obtain a sponsor licence? This blog post will provide an overview of the process, including all the sector-specific nuances involved. We will discuss the legal requirements and the relevant considerations for businesses in the postal and telecom service sector. By the end of this post, you will have the information and understanding necessary to successfully obtain a sponsor licence.


Types of businesses within the postal and telecom service sector

The postal and telecom service sector is a diverse sector that encompasses a variety of businesses. This includes companies involved in the postal, telecommunications and internet services industry as well as companies involved in the delivery of goods.

Types of businesses in the postal and telecom service sector include:

  1. Postal Services: Companies offering traditional mail services, including sending and receiving letters, parcels and other packages via post.
  2. Telecommunications Services: Businesses providing traditional telephone services, such as fixed-line landlines, mobile phones and internet access.
  3. Internet Service Providers: Businesses that provide access to the internet or related services, such as website hosting and domain name registration.
  4. Delivery Services: Companies providing delivery services, including courier and package delivery services.
  5. These businesses are responsible for ensuring that information is sent securely and efficiently. They also have an important role to play in providing digital infrastructure and services to customers in the UK.

Here are some well-established names in the Postal and Telecommunications Services sector in the UK:

Royal Mail Group: This is a state-owned postal service company that operates in the UK and provides mail collection and delivery services.

BT Group: This is a multinational telecommunications company that provides a range of services including fixed and mobile phone, broadband, and TV.

Virgin Media: This is a telecommunications company that provides broadband, TV, and phone services to residential and business customers in the UK.

TalkTalk: This is a telecommunications company that provides broadband, phone, and TV services to residential and business customers in the UK.

Vodafone: This is a multinational telecommunications company that provides mobile phone, broadband, and TV services to customers in the UK.

EE: This is a telecommunications company that provides mobile phone, broadband, and TV services to customers in the UK.

O2: This is a telecommunications company that provides mobile phone, broadband, and TV services to customers in the UK.

Three: This is a telecommunications company that provides mobile phone, broadband, and TV services to customers in the UK.

If your business provides anything similar to the above listed services, then this sponsor licence guide is for you.

Important things to consider when applying for a sponsor licence?

When applying for a sponsor licence, businesses in the postal and telecom service sector should make sure that they are aware of all the specific requirements that they need to meet.
The first thing they must consider is whether they have the resources and capacity to comply with the duties of a sponsor. This includes having sufficient financial resources to pay for wages, having the necessary systems in place to monitor sponsored workers, and having the necessary human resources to manage their sponsorship obligations.

Businesses must also consider the type of job roles that they intend to sponsor, including any industry-specific qualifications or experience requirements. It is also important for them to understand the different minimum salary thresholds for different job roles and consider how this impacts their recruitment processes.

In addition, businesses must consider any additional documents required for the licence application, such as registration certificates from Companies House or proof of business address. It is also essential for them to be aware of the documents they need to provide in order to demonstrate their compliance with Home Office policies, such as the prevention of illegal working and minimum salary requirements.

Finally, businesses in the postal and telecom sector need to understand the full process of applying for a sponsor licence, including what information is needed and how long the process takes.


Documents needed for a sponsor licence application in the postal and telecom service sector

When applying for a sponsor licence in the postal and telecom service sector, there are some specific documents required. Depending on the type of business you have, you may need to provide additional information or documents as part of your application.

The main documents you will need to provide include:
• Proof of identity – A copy of your passport or another form of photo identification
• Company registration documents – For companies registered in the UK, you must provide the company registration number.
• Memorandum and articles of association – This document sets out how the company is structured, the rights of its shareholders and directors, and more.
• Business plan – Your business plan should outline how the company operates, its objectives, financial statements and more.
• Immigration compliance documents – These documents are needed to show that your business complies with the UK’s immigration laws.
Sponsor licence application form – This must be completed by each director of the business.
• Work experience and qualifications for the position being sponsored – You must provide details of the experience and qualifications the person being sponsored has, as well as any other relevant information.
• Documents showing that the sponsor can pay salaries – These documents must demonstrate that the sponsor can meet all wage requirements associated with the role they are sponsoring.

It is important to make sure all documents are accurate and up to date when applying for a sponsor licence. Any discrepancies between the information provided and reality could result in your application being rejected. It is also important to ensure that all information on your application form is true and accurate. If you have any questions about which documents to provide, it is best to seek professional advice.

Job roles that can be sponsored for postal services

Any UK business operating in the postal and telecom service sector is eligible to apply for a sponsor licence. This will allow the business to recruit and employ non-EEA nationals who have valid visa and work permit.

In order to recruit foreign workers through the sponsorship system, employers must ensure that they meet the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements for sponsoring a worker. This includes making sure that the job roles that they are proposing to offer are considered acceptable by UKVI and that the salary meets the minimum payment threshold.

The UKVI has set out specific SOC codes that are used to identify job roles within the postal and telecom service sector. These codes will be listed on the job advertisement when recruiting for a sponsored worker. Examples of SOC codes for postal and telecom roles include:
• 7711 – Postal Delivery & Collection Workers
• 4321 – Telecommunications Lines Workers
• 2414 – Radio Operators

In addition to listing the correct SOC code for the role, businesses must also meet the minimum salary threshold for the role. Currently, the minimum pay rate for a sponsored worker in the postal and telecom service sector is £20,480 per annum. This rate is subject to change, so businesses should check with the UKVI website for any updates before applying.

To sum up, any business operating in the postal and telecom service sector wishing to hire non-EEA nationals must obtain a sponsor licence. They must also ensure that they list the correct SOC code for the role and that they are paying their sponsored workers at least the minimum payment threshold set by UKVI.

Job examples that can be sponsored in telecom companies in the UK and their soc codes

Telecommunications businesses in the UK can sponsor skilled employees from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) through the Points-Based System. The Home Office requires that such job roles must have a Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) code associated with them.
The following are some examples of job roles within the telecom sector that can be sponsored and their associated SOC codes:

• Telecoms Network Manager (2133): Managing and maintaining networks and communication systems in order to ensure efficient service provision.
• Telecoms Project Manager (2141): Overseeing the development and implementation of telecom projects for customers.
• IT Infrastructure Engineer (2132): Designing, installing and maintaining a company’s computer networks.
• Telecommunication Engineer (3211): Installing, testing, maintaining and repairing telecoms systems and equipment.
• Telecommunications Technician (3213): Diagnosing and repairing faults in electronic equipment and telecom systems.
• Telecommunications Analyst (3223): Investigating problems with telecoms networks and analysing performance metrics.

Having the correct SOC code for each job role that needs to be sponsored, helps to streamline the visa application process as it will enable the sponsor to show that they are employing a person with the right qualifications and experience for the job. It is important to remember that any job roles must meet the relevant salary and skills requirements to be sponsored.

The process of applying for a sponsor licence


  1. The first step is to decide whether you want to sponsor a skilled worker visa sponsor or a temporary worker, depending on the type of job roles you wish to sponsor and the sector you operate in.
  2. Once you have decided which type of licence you need, you must complete an online application form. This application form will require basic information such as your company name, address, contact details and size of business.
  3. After submitting your online application form, you will be required to pay a fee and provide evidence to support your application. Depending on the type of licence you are applying for, this could include copies of financial accounts, copies of contracts with foreign nationals and/or verification of any qualifications needed by the job roles you are sponsoring.
  4. Upon submission of your application form and supporting documents, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will assess your application and decide whether or not to issue your sponsor licence. This process can take up to 8 weeks.
  5. If your application is successful, you will receive a certificate from UKVI confirming that you are now a licensed sponsor. Your certificate will also contain details about the job roles you are allowed to sponsor and the number of foreign nationals you can employ.
  6. Once you have received your certificate, you must register with the Sponsor Management System and obtain a unique employer reference number (ERN). This ERN must be provided when applying for permission to employ foreign workers.
  7. As a licensed sponsor, you are required to comply with all relevant regulations regarding the recruitment and employment of foreign workers. This includes keeping records of all sponsored employees and regularly reporting any changes to their employment status to UKVI.

Visit the official UK Home Office site to apply for sponsor licence in postal and telecommunication services. You need to submit two things –

  1. Application submission sheet
  2. Supporting documents (if asked to)

The supporting documents can be any 4 documents from the following list –

  1. The company’s latest audited accounts
  2. Employer’s liability insurance certificate
  3. Lease or ownership of business proof
  4. Proof of HMRC registration
  5. Certificate of VAT registration
  6. Proof of having a Corporate Bank current account

The Home Office can ask you for more documents if necessary. You can send these documents online in JPEG, PDF or PNG format. Add descriptive titles not exceeding 25 characters.

You need to pay a fee for the process to begin. The amount will depend on the nature of the sponsor licence and the type and size of your company.

It takes 8 weeks for an application to process. To get a response within 10 days (working), you need to pay a fee of £500.

By following these steps, businesses in the postal and telecom services sector can obtain the necessary sponsor licence they need to hire foreign nationals. It’s important to remember that failure to comply with any relevant regulations may lead to suspension or revocation of the licence so it’s important to stay up to date with all regulations and requirements.

Maintaining your sponsor licence

Once you have successfully obtained a sponsor licence for your business in the postal and telecom service sector, it is important to take steps to maintain it. The Home Office carries out regular checks to ensure that all sponsor licence holders are complying with their sponsorship duties and obligations. These checks may include on-site visits to review records, inspect premises, and interview employees.

To remain compliant with the Home Office, certain duties and obligations must be fulfilled as a sponsor licence holder. These include:

• Keeping accurate and up-to-date records of all sponsored employees, including copies of passports, visas, and other documents
• Monitoring sponsored employees’ attendance, performance, and progression in their role
• Keeping up-to-date with any changes to immigration rules that may affect the sponsorship of employees
• Notifying the Home Office when there is a change in circumstances related to the sponsorship of any employee, such as a change of address or contact details
• Regularly reporting all changes to sponsored employees’ details to the Home Office
• Making sure that any recruitment activities comply with relevant UK employment laws
• Ensuring all sponsored employees receive an appropriate salary, adhere to any conditions of their visa or permit, and are treated under UK employment legislation

Failure to comply with these requirements can lead to the revocation of your sponsor licence. Therefore, it is essential to stay informed about your duties and responsibilities as a sponsor licence holder.

Benefits of a Sponsor License for postal and telecom businesses

Having a Sponsor License can be incredibly beneficial for businesses in the postal and telecom service sector, allowing them to employ foreign nationals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The process of obtaining a Sponsor License can be complicated, but the benefits of having one far outweigh the challenges associated with it.

One of the main advantages is the ability to hire individuals from abroad who may have skills and abilities which are not available from a domestic workforce. This gives businesses the chance to access new talent from around the world, helping them remain competitive in an increasingly globalised economy.

Another benefit is that obtaining a Sponsor License means that businesses can move swiftly and efficiently when hiring. Businesses in this sector can often face intense competition when recruiting staff, so having access to a larger pool of candidates makes it easier to identify the right person for the job quickly and without delay.

The process of obtaining a Sponsor License also helps employers ensure they are meeting all the requirements in terms of legal compliance. When hiring foreign nationals, it’s important to check that everything is above board and that you are adhering to the UK’s Immigration rules. Obtaining a Sponsor License will help businesses make sure that their recruitment practices are compliant and up to date with the latest regulations.

Finally, holding a Sponsor License can act as a deterrent to illegal working, as employers must meet strict criteria before they can obtain one. This means that businesses can demonstrate to regulators that they are taking steps to ensure they are compliant with the UK’s immigration laws and regulations.

Overall, there are numerous benefits of having a Sponsor License. It can provide access to a larger pool of talent, enable employers to move quickly when recruiting, and demonstrate compliance with the UK’s Immigration rules.

Common reasons for sponsor licence application refusals

The most common reasons for a refusal can include:

• Not providing the required evidence to prove the genuine need for the requested skilled worker or temporary worker
• Not adequately complying with the employer’s duties under the Immigration Rules
• Failing to demonstrate a good track record of compliance with the immigration rules
• Demonstrating a lack of responsibility when it comes to preventing illegal working
• Insufficient evidence to prove compliance with Right to Work checks
• Poor systems for monitoring sponsored migrant workers
• Evidence that a business has breached its sponsorship duties in the past
• Insufficient financial resources to maintain employment of sponsored migrants
• Poor record keeping
• Poor employee engagement
• Poor communication between the sponsor and Home Office
• Submitting incorrect or incomplete applications

Businesses in the postal and telecom sector need to familiarise themselves with the requirements for obtaining a sponsor licence and ensure that they have robust processes in place to meet all the criteria set out by the Home Office. Adequate preparation can help reduce the risk of refusal, enabling businesses to benefit from sponsoring skilled workers from overseas.


What types of visas can you sponsor?

When you get a worker sponsor licence, you have the right to employ skilled workers from outside the UK. The duration of this employment can be permanent, long-term or short-term.

Here are the types of people you can sponsor with this licence for postal and telecommunication services –

  1. Skilled Worker – Any worker with qualifications and skills which meet the requirement of the role you are offering as a postal or telecommunications service provider.
  2. Specialist or Senior Worker – This applies to workers of a multinational organization who are being transferred to the UK branch through an intra-company transfer link (Global Business Mobility).

Other job profiles which qualify under worker sponsor licence, but are not related to either postal or telecommunication services, include –

  1. Global Sportsperson – Applies to both elite sports players and coaches who will work from the UK (playing for UK-based clubs, for example).
  2. Minister of Religion – Applies to employees of a religious organization operating in the UK.

Temporary Worker in Postal and Telecommunication Services

The temporary worker sponsor licence is only applicable to specific types of jobs and visas. These occupations could include job-shadowing and volunteer work. As the name suggests, temporary workers are employed for a temporary period only.

These are the types of workers you can hire under the temporary worker licence for postal and telecommunication services –

  1. Creative Worker – Applies to artists, models and entertainers who will work in the creative sector. This may also apply to any celebrity you want as a brand ambassador (check with the UK Home Office).
  2. Scale-up Worker – Applies to workers hired for a rapidly booming business in the UK.
  3. Government Authorised Exchange – For scientists and researchers hired for study or training in the telecom sector.
  4. Service suppliers – Contractual workers hired to provide a specific service for a UK company.
  5. Expansion Workers – Workers sent to the UK to establish a new branch for a business operating from outside.
  6. Graduate Trainee – Workers transferred to their employer’s UK office for training after graduation.



To get your sponsor licence, make sure you do not have –

  • Unresolved criminal convictions (like money laundering, fraud, immigration offences etc.).
  • A previous sponsor licence, annulled in the last 12 months.

If all is clear, move on to organizing a sponsorship management team in your office.

Sponsorship Management Roles

You must appoint the following roles to the people working in your postal and telecommunication services office. These roles will handle the sponsorship process and coordinate with the Home Office for all sponsorship requirements.

  • Authorising officer – A senior manager overlooking the employees who handle the SMS (Sponsorship Management System).
  • Key contact – The person who will act as the main POC (Point of contact) with the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration)
  • Level 1 user – Operates the SMS for daily licence management.

Please note that the Home Office authorities can visit your office anytime for inspections. It is in your best interest to comply with the sponsorship requirements at all times.


When you receive your licence for postal and telecommunication services, the Home Office can issue two types of ratings to your company –

  • A-rating – Means you have full sponsorship rights and can begin issuing sponsor certificates. This licence is valid for 4 years.
  • B-rating – If you default, your rating can be downgraded. You cannot issue certificates anymore until you make the necessary improvements.

Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

If you receive an A-rating, you can begin sponsoring postal and telecommunication services employees from outside. To do this you need to issue certificates of sponsorship to each hired employee. Every CoS has a number which helps the employees in procuring their work visa. After issuing a CoS, the employee must apply for a visa within 3 months.

How we can help

CGM App is an end-to-end immigration app, designed to make the immigration and global mobility process more seamless and compliant; specifically for expats, sponsoring companies, and immigration consultants globally.

Visit for more information.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment