Exploring Your Destination Through Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme: A Guide for Travellers
Exploring a completely new destination and living among the locals is a great way to experience a destination and immerse yourself in its culture. The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) lets you live and work in Australia while you explore its regions. This article provides you with information and helpful tips on how to utilize the RSMS so you can explore and live in Australia, while also learning more about the benefits and challenges of being part of the program.
What is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme?
The RSMS was initially created under the 457 visa, but was later replaced by the Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 187) in 2012. This visa allows those from overseas to apply to live and work in regional areas of Australia. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have an eligible sponsor and meet the relevant English language requirements.
- Be under the age of 50.
- Must have a job offer in an eligible regional area.
Sponsors for the RSMS should be nominated by a state or territory government agency and be willing to provide financial and other support to the applicant. This can range from offering paid employment from an unrelated business, a minimum income, providing assistance with language and adjustment, and assistance with locating and reuniting family members. Once you have met all the criteria, you can apply for the visa.
Benefits of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
Being part of the RSMS offers a range of benefits including:
- The visa allows you to live and work in Australia, while exploring the different regions of the country.
- The visa is renewable and is valid for up to four years.
- The visa holder is eligible to apply for permanent residence through the visa.
- The visa holder can travel within and outside of Australia.
- There is a two-year work experience requirement that must be completed within the four year period.
- It is an excellent opportunity for those who are looking to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Australia’s many cultural and social norms.
Challenges of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
While being part of the RSMS does have its benefits, it is important to be aware of the challenges associated with the scheme:
- It is a highly competitive scheme, as the number of visas available is limited.
- Applicants need to have relevant skills and qualifications in order to be eligible.
- The nomination process can be lengthy and complicated.
- Getting a job in regional areas may be difficult due to the limited job opportunities.
- Language and cultural barriers could be a barrier to successful work placements.
- Families need to be able to financially support themselves while they are settling into the area.
Trust Your Instincts – Preparing for Your Journey
Taking on the challenges of being part of the RSMS can be daunting, but remember to trust your instincts. Prepare for your journey by doing your research and identifying where you can get the best support. Make sure to research the local laws and customs and be aware of the challenges you could face, so you are better equipped to identify and address any potential problems.
In addition, it’s important to create a good support network in your new home. Seek out advice from professionals and the local community, and make sure to build a good relationship with your sponsor so they can provide assistance if needed. If you need any assistance or advice, you can reach out to the Department of Home Affairs and consult the Migration Agent Registration Authority.
Exploring the Regions – Tips For Travelling
The RSMS is the perfect opportunity to explore the regions of Australia. Whether it’s sampling the delicious food, witnessing the unique landscapes, or immersing yourself in the local culture, there is no limit to what you can experience while travelling. Here are a few tips on how to make the most out of your journey:
- Do your research – Make sure to identify the areas you would like to visit in advance, as well as the type of activities or events you would like to take part in during your stay.
- Plan your itinerary – Spend time planning your trips, accommodation, and activities so you can make the most of your time in each region.
- Accommodation – There are many accommodation options available in the regions, from camping and caravanning to hotels, there is something for everyone.
- Communicate with locals – It’s always important to communicate with local communities when you visit a new place. From learning about the culture, to hearing their stories and advice, never be afraid to ask questions and get to know the locals.
- Be safe – Don’t forget to make sure you are taking all necessary precautions for your safety. This includes checking for any health warnings and security advice.
Taking part in the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme can open the door to a whole new world. Whilst it can be challenging, by following the tips outlined in this article you can make the most of the RSMS and explore the regions of Australia with ease. The journey will be difficult at times, but never forget to trust your instincts and explore the local customs, cultures, and landscapes – you’ll be amazed by what you discover.