The Confirmatory (Residence) Visa (Subclass 808) is designed for individuals in Australia who wish to confirm their permanent residence status. This visa is essential for individuals who, for various reasons, might not be able to provide the necessary documentation for their initial permanent residency application.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Onshore Applicant: You must be in Australia when applying for this visa.
  • Eligible Visa Holder: You should hold a visa that allows you to apply for a permanent residence visa, such as a Temporary Partner (Subclass 820) or Temporary Skilled Worker (Subclass 457) visa.
  • Documentary Evidence: You must be unable to provide the required documents for your initial permanent residency application due to exceptional circumstances.

Application Process:

  1. Eligibility Check: Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria, particularly the exceptional circumstances requirement.
  2. Consultation: Seek advice from the Department of Home Affairs or a registered migration agent to confirm your situation qualifies as exceptional.
  3. Prepare Documents: Gather all available documents to support your application, even if they are limited.
  4. Complete Form: Fill out Form 40 – Application for a Confirmatory (Residence) Visa.
  5. Submission: Submit the application along with the supporting documents to the Department of Home Affairs.
  6. Interview: If required, attend an interview to discuss your case further.
  7. Await Decision: The processing time varies. Check your application status through the online portal.
  8. Notification of Decision: Once a decision is made, you will be notified of the outcome.


  • Permanent Residency: Confirms your status as a permanent resident in Australia.
  • Work and Study Rights: Provides unrestricted work and study rights in Australia.
  • Access to Healthcare: Eligible for Australia’s public healthcare system, Medicare.
  • Travel: Allows you to travel in and out of Australia freely.


Q: Can I apply for this visa if I have a different temporary visa?
A: No, this visa is specifically for individuals holding visas that allow them to apply for permanent residency, such as Temporary Partner (Subclass 820) or Temporary Skilled Worker (Subclass 457) visas.

Q: Is there a fee for this visa?
A: Yes, there is a fee associated with the application. Check the Department of Home Affairs website for the current fee structure.

Q: What documents should I provide if I cannot provide the necessary documents?
A: Provide any available documents, even if limited. The immigration officer will assess your case based on the provided information and may conduct further inquiries if necessary.

Q: How long does it take to process this visa?
A: Processing times vary. It is advisable to check the Department of Home Affairs website for the most current processing time estimates.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment