The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa (Subclass 400) is designed for individuals who want to work in Australia on a short-term basis, typically for up to three months. This visa is suitable for individuals engaging in highly specialized, non-ongoing work or participating in short-term, specialized activities.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Specialized Work: You must be invited to participate in a highly specialized, non-ongoing work or activity in Australia.
  2. Temporary Nature: Your work or activity in Australia should be temporary, generally up to three months.
  3. Health and Character: Meet health and character requirements as specified by the Australian immigration authorities.

Application Process:

  1. Invitation: Obtain an invitation from an Australian organization or individual who is hosting the specialized work or activity.
  2. Online Application: Lodge your application online through the official Australian immigration website, providing detailed information about the purpose of your visit and the organization hosting you.
  3. Documents: Submit all required documents, including the invitation letter, passport details, and proof of financial capacity.
  4. Biometrics and Health Checks: Attend biometrics collection if required and complete necessary health examinations.
  5. Wait for a Decision: The processing time varies based on individual circumstances. You may be asked for additional documents or information.
  6. Visa Grant: Once approved, you will receive a visa grant notice specifying the conditions of your stay.


  1. Short-Term Work: Engage in specialized work or activities for up to three months in Australia.
  2. Participate in Specialized Activities: This visa allows individuals to participate in short-term, specialized activities like conferences, workshops, or seminars.
  3. Travel Flexibility: Enter and leave Australia multiple times while the visa is valid.
  4. Dependents: Your family members can apply for a Visitor visa (Subclass 600) if they wish to accompany you to Australia.


Q: Can I extend my stay beyond three months on this visa?
A: Generally, the Subclass 400 visa is granted for up to three months, and extensions are not common. If you need to stay longer, you might need to explore other visa options.

Q: Can I work for multiple employers in Australia on this visa?
A: Yes, you can work for multiple employers during your stay as long as the work is highly specialized and non-ongoing.

Q: Can I include my family members in the application?
A: This visa does not have provisions for including family members. They need to apply for a Visitor visa (Subclass 600) if they wish to accompany you.

Q: Can I apply for this visa if I plan to participate in a conference in Australia?
A: Yes, if you have been invited to participate in a specific conference, seminar, or workshop, you can apply for this visa to attend the event.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment