The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved employer for up to four years. This visa provides the opportunity to fill a position that cannot be filled by an Australian worker. It has three streams: Short-Term, Medium-Term, and Labour Agreement.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Sponsorship: An approved Australian employer must sponsor you for a specific position.
  2. Occupation: Your occupation must be on the relevant skilled occupation list.
  3. Skills Assessment: Depending on your occupation, you might need a valid skills assessment.
  4. Work Experience: Relevant work experience in the nominated occupation is required.
  5. English Language Proficiency: Meet the English language requirements specified for your occupation.
  6. Health and Character: Meet health and character requirements as specified by the Australian immigration authorities.

Application Process:

  1. Sponsorship: Your employer must lodge a sponsorship application and be approved as a sponsor.
  2. Nomination: Your employer nominates you for a specific occupation and duration.
  3. Application: You apply for the visa, providing all necessary documents, including the sponsorship and nomination approvals.
  4. Health and Character Checks: Complete the required health examinations and provide police clearance certificates.
  5. Wait for a Decision: The processing time varies based on individual circumstances. You may be asked for additional documents or information.
  6. Visa Grant: Once approved, you will receive a visa grant notice specifying the conditions of your stay.


  1. Work in Australia: Engage in full-time employment with the sponsoring employer in the nominated occupation.
  2. Bring Family: Your family members can be included in the application to work and study in Australia.
  3. Travel Flexibility: Enter and leave Australia multiple times while the visa is valid.
  4. Skill Development: Gain valuable work experience in Australia, enhancing your skills and qualifications.


Q: Can I change my employer on this visa?
A: Yes, you can change your employer, but the new employer needs to lodge a new nomination for you, and you might need to apply for a new visa.

Q: Can my family work and study in Australia on this visa?
A: Yes, your family members can work and study in Australia. They need to apply for work and study visas respectively.

Q: Can I apply for permanent residency through this visa?
A: Depending on the stream, some subclasses 482 visa holders might be eligible for Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) after a certain period of employment.

Q: Is there an age limit for this visa?
A: No, there is no specific age limit for the Subclass 482 visa. However, age might affect points if you are planning to apply for permanent residency through General Skilled Migration pathways.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment