The Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445) is designed for dependent children of holders of temporary Australian visas. It allows these children to live in Australia with their parent while their parent’s permanent visa application is being processed.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Parent’s Visa: The child must have a parent holding an eligible temporary visa or a Bridging Visa A, B, or C.
  2. Age Limit: The child must be under 18 years of age or financially dependent on the parent due to a disability.
  3. Application: The child must be included in the parent’s permanent visa application, and the application must be in progress.
  4. Health and Character: The child must meet health and character requirements.

Application Process:

  1. Parent’s Application: The parent applies for a permanent visa (e.g., Partner visa). The child is included in this application.
  2. Temporary Visa Application: Once the parent’s permanent visa application is in progress, the child can apply for the Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445) online.
  3. Provide Documents: Submit required documents, including identification, relationship proof, health assessments, and character documents.
  4. Wait for Processing: Wait for the application to be processed. Additional documents might be requested.
  5. Visa Grant: Upon approval, the child is granted the Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445), allowing them to stay in Australia until a decision is made on the parent’s permanent visa.


  1. Temporary Residency: Allows dependent children to live in Australia temporarily while their parent’s permanent visa application is processed.
  2. Access to Healthcare: Dependent children have access to Medicare, Australia’s healthcare system, during their stay.
  3. Study Rights: The child can study in Australia.
  4. Work Rights: Depending on the parent’s visa, work rights might be available to the child.


Q: Can the child work on the Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)?
A: Work rights depend on the parent’s visa. If the parent has work rights, the child might also have them.

Q: Can a child over 18 years of age apply for this visa?
A: Generally, the Dependent Child Visa is for children under 18. For older children, other visa options might be available.

Q: Does the child need to be in Australia to apply for this visa?
A: No, the child can be inside or outside Australia when applying. However, they must be included in the parent’s permanent visa application.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment

Social media

Copyright © 2023 by CGM Partners. All rights reserved.