The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173) allows parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens to live in Australia temporarily. It provides a pathway to permanent residency for parents who do not want to wait for the significantly longer processing times of non-contributory parent visas.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Parental Relationship: The applicant must be the parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  2. Age Requirement: The applicant must meet the age requirements for an aged pension under Australian law.
  3. Balance of Family Test: At least half of the applicant’s children must live permanently in Australia, or more children live permanently in Australia than in any other single country.
  4. Sponsorship: An eligible child must sponsor the parent and provide Assurance of Support.
  5. Health and Character: The applicant and all family members applying must meet health and character requirements.

Application Process:

  1. Eligibility Check: Confirm that the applicant meets all the eligibility criteria, including the balance of family test.
  2. Sponsorship and Assurance of Support: The sponsoring child lodges a sponsorship application with the Department of Home Affairs and provides Assurance of Support.
  3. Lodge Visa Application: Once sponsorship is approved, lodge the visa application online, providing all necessary documents, including identification, relationship proof, health assessments, and character documents.
  4. Health and Character Checks: Undergo medical examinations and provide police clearance certificates for all countries resided in since turning 16.
  5. Waiting Period: Wait for the application to be processed. Additional documents might be requested.
  6. Visa Grant: Upon approval, the applicant receives the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173), allowing them to live in Australia for up to two years.


  1. Temporary Residency: Allows parents to live in Australia temporarily for up to two years.
  2. Access to Healthcare: Parents have access to Medicare, Australia’s healthcare system, during their stay.
  3. Work and Study: The parent can work and study in Australia without restrictions during the temporary stay.
  4. Pathway to Permanent Residency: Provides a pathway to apply for the Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143) for permanent residency in Australia after the temporary period.


Q: Can the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa be extended beyond the two years?
A: No, this visa cannot be extended. However, it provides a pathway to apply for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143).

Q: Can the sponsoring child be a permanent resident, or do they have to be an Australian citizen?
A: The sponsoring child can be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Q: Is the parent allowed to work during their stay on a Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa?
A: Yes, the parent can work and study without restrictions during their temporary stay in Australia.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment