The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884) is designed for parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens. This visa allows parents to live temporarily in Australia with their children. It is a pathway to permanent residency through the Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 864).

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Parental Relationship: The applicant must be the parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  2. Age Requirement: The applicant must meet the age requirements for an aged pension under Australian law.
  3. Sponsorship: An eligible child must sponsor the parent.
  4. Balance of Family Test: At least half of the applicant’s children must live permanently in Australia, or more children live permanently in Australia than in any other single country.
  5. Health and Character: The applicant and all family members applying must meet health and character requirements.

Application Process:

  1. Eligibility Check: Confirm that the applicant meets all the eligibility criteria, including the balance of family test.
  2. Sponsorship: The sponsoring child lodges a sponsorship application with the Department of Home Affairs.
  3. Lodge Visa Application: Once sponsorship is approved, lodge the visa application online, providing all necessary documents, including identification, relationship proof, health assessments, and character documents.
  4. Health and Character Checks: Undergo medical examinations and provide police clearance certificates for all countries resided in since turning 16.
  5. Waiting Period: Wait for the application to be processed, which can take time due to high demand. Additional documents might be requested.
  6. Visa Grant: Upon approval, the applicant receives the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 884), allowing them to live in Australia temporarily.


  1. Temporary Residency: The visa provides temporary residency status for the parent in Australia.
  2. Access to Healthcare: Parents have access to Medicare, Australia’s healthcare system.
  3. Work and Study: The parent can work and study in Australia during the temporary stay.
  4. Family Reunion: Allows parents to live temporarily with their children in Australia.


Q: Can the parent work in Australia with this visa?
A1: Yes, the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa allows the holder to work in Australia.

Q2: How long does the temporary visa last? A2: The temporary visa is usually valid for up to two years. It can be extended if needed.

Q3: Can the parent apply for permanent residency after this visa? A3: Yes, after holding the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa, the parent can apply for the Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 864) to obtain permanent residency in Australia.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment

Social media

Copyright © 2023 by CGM Partners. All rights reserved.