The Child Visa (Subclass 802) allows dependent children of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia permanently. This visa ensures that children can reunite with their parents and enjoy the benefits of Australian residency.

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Parental Relationship: The child must be the biological, adopted, or stepchild of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  2. Age Limit: The child must be under 18 years old when the application is lodged. There are specific provisions for children above 18 in certain circumstances.
  3. Health and Character: The child and all family members applying must meet health and character requirements.
  4. Parent’s Status: The sponsoring parent must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Application Process:

  1. Eligibility Assessment: Confirm that the child meets all eligibility criteria, and the sponsoring parent is eligible.
  2. Lodge Sponsorship Application: The sponsoring parent lodges a sponsorship application for the child.
  3. Lodge Visa Application: Once sponsorship is approved, lodge the visa application, including all necessary documents such as identification, relationship proof, health assessments, and character documents.
  4. Health and Character Checks: Undergo medical examinations and provide police clearance certificates for all countries resided in since turning 16.
  5. Waiting Period: Wait for the application to be processed, which can vary based on individual circumstances. Additional documents might be requested.
  6. Visa Grant: Upon approval, the child and accompanying family members receive the Child Visa (Subclass 802), allowing them to live in Australia permanently.


  1. Permanent Residency: The visa provides permanent residency status for the child in Australia.
  2. Access to Education: Children can access quality education in Australian schools and universities.
  3. Healthcare Services: The child and accompanying family members have access to Medicare, Australia’s healthcare system.
  4. Work and Study: The child can work and study in Australia without restrictions.
  5. Family Reunion: The visa allows families to reunite and live together in Australia.


Q: Can the child apply for this visa if they are over 18 years old?
A: The Child Visa (Subclass 802) is generally for children under 18. There are other visa options available for adult children.

Q: How long does the visa processing take?
A: Processing times can vary. It’s advisable to check the Department of Home Affairs website for current processing times based on individual circumstances.

Q: Can the child travel outside Australia after the visa is granted?
A: Yes, the child can travel freely to and from Australia for five years. After that period, a Resident Return (subclass 155) visa might be required for re-entry if the child wishes to travel.

0 CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment