The Carer Visa (Subclass 116) is intended for individuals who want to care for an Australian relative with a long-term or permanent medical condition. This visa allows caregivers to reside in Australia to provide substantial and continuing assistance to their family member.
- Care Recipient: The applicant must be sponsored by an Australian relative who requires substantial and continuing assistance due to a long-term medical condition or disability.
- Health and Character: Both the applicant and the care recipient must meet health and character requirements as specified by Australian immigration authorities.
- Financial Capacity: The applicant must demonstrate sufficient financial capacity to support themselves and any accompanying family members.
- Assurance of Support: An Assurance of Support might be required, ensuring financial responsibility for the applicant.
- Eligibility Check: Ensure the applicant and the care recipient meet all eligibility criteria.
- Sponsorship: The Australian relative sponsors the applicant and lodges a sponsorship application.
- Visa Application: Submit the visa application online or through a paper application, including all required documents such as identification, relationship proof, medical assessments, and financial records.
- Health and Character Checks: Undergo necessary health examinations and provide police clearance certificates for all countries resided in since turning 16.
- Waiting Period: Wait for the processing period, which can vary based on individual circumstances. Additional documents or information might be requested during processing.
- Visa Grant: Once approved, the applicant receives the Carer Visa (Subclass 116), allowing them to live in Australia.
- Long-Term Stay: The visa provides a pathway for long-term residency in Australia.
- Healthcare Access: The applicant and their family members gain access to Australia’s healthcare system, Medicare.
- Work and Study: The Carer Visa allows the applicant to work and study in Australia.
- Social Benefits: The applicant can access social benefits and support services available to residents in Australia.
- Family Reunion: The visa enables families to reunite and provides care to loved ones in need.
Q: What is the processing time for the Carer Visa (Subclass 116)?
A: The processing time varies based on individual circumstances and can range from several months to over a year.
Q: Can the applicant include family members in the application?
A: Yes, eligible family members can be included in the application, provided they meet the requirements and relationship criteria.
Q: Can the applicant change sponsors after the visa is granted?
A: Changing sponsors after visa grant is generally not allowed, and new sponsorship arrangements require careful consideration and legal advice.